You’ve worked so hard to be ready for college.
You’ve taken the challenging classes, studied diligently, developed your interests, and pushed yourself to your limits. You’ve got the drive and the potential to make a difference in the world, and you deserve a college experience that will launch you into a bright future.
You know you've got a lot to offer, and you want to be able to show it to admissions offices. But how do you stand out with a one-size-fits-all personal statement prompt?
You want to write a killer personal statement, but you're worried...
- You won't know what to write about
- You'll sound boring or generic
- Your writing isn't strong enough
- You'll make mistakes
- You won't be able to stay within the word limit
- You'll procrastinate and have to write under pressure
I'll give you the one-on-one coaching you need to put your best self on paper. You'll write a personal statement that is uniquely you, while using tried and true writing strategies.
You don't have to reinvent the wheel! I'll show you exactly how to make your essay stand out with...
- personalized feedback through one-on-one coaching sessions and detailed comments
- the perfect topic and idea for you so that your passion jumps off the page
- tools and templates that show you how to structure your essay like a pro
- targeted assignments to keep you on track and prevent procrastination
- detailed checklists and resources so your essay is polished and sophisticated
I’ll be there at every step of the way with practical tips, support, accountability, and no-nonsense guidance about exactly what to do next. From choosing the best topic for showcasing your strengths, to revising awkward sentences so you sound like the most sophisticated version of you, I’ve got your back!
We won’t leave anything to chance, with templates and samples that show you exactly what works. When we’re finished, you’ll have a polished personal statement that will make your application stand out from the crowd.
You'll leave this intensive one-on-one coaching experience with...
- A polished, proofread, final draft of your unique personal statement that's ready to send to schools
- Summaries of who you are, your special talents, and your goals so you can choose the right colleges and rock the interviews with them
- Supplemental essay strategies so you can make the best use of your time and energy and minimize stress
- The tools and knowledge you need to get amazing teacher recommendations
- Writing resources that you’ll keep using as you transition into college writing
- The time you need to focus on the upcoming school year, knowing your personal statement is in the bag
Write to College Includes:
The Dig-Deep Questionnaire
Before class starts, you'll use this unique collection of writing activities and outside-the-box-thinking questions to bring your best ideas to the table. You'll do research on the most important topic: YOU. You'll discover how your talents, interests, and experiences line up with what colleges are looking for in a great personal statement. Doing this groundwork before your start outlining and drafting means you won't waste any valuable time, and you'll be ready to hit the ground running in our sessions.
8 Weeks of Video Instruction & Targeted Assignments
Learn exactly how to work on your personal statement, one step at a time. Each lesson is followed by a clear, targeted assignment so that your essay moves forward each week. You'll know exactly what to do next to stay on schedule.
7 Private Coaching Sessions
You'll get my undivided attention in one-on-one writing coaching sessions. I'll provide the personalized feedback you need to make your essay truly shine. I'll bring my 10 years' worth of writing coaching expertise to our sessions, offering the strategies and tips that will work for your essay and your writing style.
Detailed Written Feedback
Between private coaching sessions, I'll be providing detailed written feedback on your draft so that you know exactly what to address and improve. You'll receive specific suggestions so you can progress faster and make the most of your time with me.
Streamlined Checklists and Templates
Your personal statement is all about you, but you don't have to reinvent the wheel. I'll give you tried-and-true tools to maximize the writing process, from organizing, to revising and editing. These resources give a boost to writers of all skill levels.
Samples to Analyze
Learn what works and what doesn’t by reading personal statements from accepted students. You'll see different options for organizing your thoughts, as well as the key traits of successful essays.
After our final coaching session, you might still have a few tweaks and cuts to make to your essay. Once you're ready to hit "Go," you'll send me your absolute final draft for one last proofreading to make sure everything is perfect.
Plus, you'll get these helpful bonuses so you can finish up the rest of your application!
Bonus #1: The "Keeper Schools" Research Template
Use this template to research the schools on your "apply to" list and determine whether they really are a perfect fit for you. You'll see exactly which questions to ask and how to spot "crush schools," those schools that seem so appealing from afar, but that won't actually be a good match for you. Spoiler alert: you'll end up cutting some potential schools from your list, and that's a good thing!
Bonus #2: The Supplementary Essay Planning Worksheet
Your personal statement is going to have friends. If you're using the Common App, you'll have to write additional essays on specific topics for each school! But this worksheet will help you make a smart plan for how to reuse and recycle what you've already written so that you don't have to start from scratch.
Bonus #3: The Teacher Recommendations of Your Dreams Cheat Sheet
After putting so much thought into your incredible personal statement, you want your teacher recommendations to paint the same picture of a dedicated, enthusiastic student. This cheat sheet will guide you through how to select teachers, and how to ask them for help so that you get the best possible recommendations.
You're smart, dedicated, and ready for college. But so are tons of other students.
I'm sorry to tell you this, but the pool of amazing college applicants is only getting bigger. With so many smart, athletic, musical, artistic, volunteering, high-achieving students to choose among, colleges and universities are inundated with stats. They see all your numbers and know you are bright. But they want to know who you are!
If you're committed to getting into your dream school, this is exactly where you need to be.
Obviously, I can't guarantee that your dream school will accept you. But what I can guarantee is that you will get all the best tools and support out there for digging deep and writing an amazing, authentic essay that combines the best of you with the best of writing structure, style, and mechanics.
Don't leave your essay to chance, or to the last minute. Your essay is vital for telling the admissions committee why you would be a perfect addition to their school. The essay is especially important if your GPA is not as strong as you had hoped, or if you have a special background, talent, or passion that hasn't been explained somewhere else in your application.
This class is for you if...
- You are a dedicated student on the verge of applying to college as a first-year or transfer student.
- You will be applying using the Common App and/or the University of California application.
- You aren't afraid to work hard to make your dreams come true.
- You have passions and talents, even if you aren't exactly sure how to put them into words.
- You are ready to fully commit your time and energy to thinking and writing your best.
- You are a high-achiever who wants the best for yourself.
This class is NOT for you if...
- You will not be a senior in high school (or the equivalent) in the fall of this year, or a transfer student. (Sorry, juniors, but one more year of writing skill and life experience really is important!)
- You don't really have an interest in college but are applying anyway.
- Your schedule is so busy that you won't be able to attend all the classes or finish the assignments.
- You want a quick fix and aren't willing to commit to doing this difficult (but rewarding!) work.
- You are hoping someone else will tell you exactly what to write or will even write your essay for you.
How will Write to College help you?
The Right Prompt
The five Common Application prompts offer some tough choices. I'll help you select the prompt that fits your experiences and POV. You'll save time and energy by only working on the topic that showcases your unique talents and writing strengths. If you're applying to a UC, you'll learn how to personalize the two required prompts so that they work together to tell your unique story.
Even though your statement is unique and personal, there's no need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to writing! Once you know what to write, detailed, step-by-step instructions will help you craft your essay's structure. You'll see how to begin and end for greatest impact. Detailed resources and samples will show you how to tell a compelling story.
One-on-one coaching sessions and detailed comments on drafts mean you get the individual attention your essay deserves. You'll make the best use of your time between coaching sessions by responding to specific suggestions so that you stay on schedule without getting overwhelmed.
Checklists and Proofreading Support
Comprehensive checklists make sure that your unique statement is correct and polished. A final professional proofreading also means that you'll submit your absolute best writing.
All the personalized, expert help you need to write your best!
The Dig-Deep Questionnaire is no joke! With over 20 pages of questions, activities, and free-writing prompts, it's going to become the ultimate guide to your strengths! It'll help you see your passions clearly while also bringing great ideas to the surface. Seriously, this is unlike any other questionnaire you have filled out! (And don't worry—you'll get access to this resource nice and early so you can give it the attention it deserves!)
You're going to get amazing tools specifically designed for responding to the Common App and UC prompts. Beginning with custom brainstorming and outlining templates, you'll plan your essay smart from the start. You'll have detailed instructions, examples, and checklists to draft, revise, and edit like a pro. With the right tools, you'll keep moving forward with confidence!
In addition to specific comments on your essay, you'll also get detailed coaching in the one-on-one Weekly Workshops. We'll hash out ideas, talk through where you're stuck, and give you a plan for moving forward.
We'll go through your personal statement with a magnifying glass, making sure that each and every thought reflects your careful planning and your POV. We'll clean up messy language and polish your writing until it shines!
That word limit is there for a reason, and I'll help you stick to it! I'll help you make the hard cuts. Give your essay the punch and panache that comes from careful, comprehensive editing.
Finish your essay on time. No excuses! No procrastination! Your personal statement will be polished and ready to go well ahead of the application deadline.
Your essay is what takes you from "Good Candidate" to "Great Asset"
Your personal statement is your chance to put yourself—your voice—on paper! It's your chance to be heard on your terms. To tell colleges...
- how you want to challenge yourself or change the world
- what your college education means to you
- where you have been in life, and where you want to go
In order to jump off of the page, you have to know yourself inside and out. You have to know exactly why you are a great match for your dream schools. And there is no shortcut for that. You have to take the time to mine the depths of your being—and then take even more time to translate your inner self into the rigid format of the personal statement.
I'll provide the structure that lets you do exactly that. I'll help you see yourself from the outside, and then present that unique wonderful person in the one-size-fits-all frame colleges require you to use. This is a hard activity, but that's exactly why I've developed this class. It's unlike anything else that's out there. It lets the true you shine through with poise and panache. This takes time and it takes effort, but I know you can do it!
As a Whole Ed subscriber, you're getting first dibs on enrollment. I'm only offering a total of 20 coaching slots so that I can give every student my personal time and attention. Open enrollment begins on May 3, and coaching spots are first-come, first served!
All the Details:
- This eight-week class runs from June 20 through August 12, 2016, with one coaching session per week.
- There won't be any coaching sessions the week of July 4 - 8, but there will be assignments to work on that week.
- Coaching session times are offered on a first-come, first-served basis once payment is made.
- All content is delivered via email and video conferencing, so students need an active email address that they check daily.
- Our coaching sessions happen online, so students need an Internet connection that can support video chat. (No software purchase is required.)